Sep 09 2013

Another Sighting

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Another Sighting”.

7 Responses to “Another Sighting”

1. Flailon 09 Sep 2013 at 9:13 am

“why a 15 year old was driving was not addressed by the article.”

He likely has a school permit, which is fairly common in the midwest. I had one to drive to early-morning sports practice in high school.

2. mindmeon 09 Sep 2013 at 9:27 am

Bigfoot in Nebraska, eh? I think Donald Prothero noted you simply don’t have large ape species ranging over an entire continent, in a vast range of very different environments. You don’t, for example, find mountain gorillas in North Africa. You either have not just one species but dozens of undiscovered large ape species in North America alone. Or you have one ape species unlike anything. Ever.

3. JScarryon 09 Sep 2013 at 10:22 am

Someone on the intertubes made the comment that with the ubiquity of high quality cell-phone cameras, surveillance videos, and dash cams, phenomena like bigfoot, Loch Ness, UFOs, fairies, angels, and leprechauns are essentially ruled out.

Look at all the high quality footage of the recent Russian meteor. If there really were UFOs, it almost a certainty that multiple high quality videos would exist. The photos of the Boston bombers were clear and identifiable. It’s extraordinarily unlikely that these things wouldn’t be captured on high-quality images—if they actually existed.

4. FacelessManon 09 Sep 2013 at 12:06 pm

If anyone needs a laugh, check the last comments on Dr. Novellas link on DNA evidence, apparently some believers found the post 4 months after it came up. Although I suspect “squatchy” is just trolling, but you never know.

5. ccbowerson 09 Sep 2013 at 1:42 pm

Your comment on the waxing and waning of these sightings had me thinking about where we are in the ups and downs of bigfoot sightings and belief. Of course the idea of the entire population of 9-foot 500-pound ape-like species managing to say hidded in the Pacific Northwest of the US is ridiculous, and from my perspective it seems that the belief among the general population is at a low point.

The recent polls that I’ve come across, put the figure at 20-25% have a belief that such a creature exists. To me this a pretty low figure, since I think you will get double-digit % for the belief in nearly anything, and beliefs in ghosts and astrology are much higher (about double). One would think that the proliferation of cameras would make the question absurd to most, but there have been examples of trail/game cameras that have caught odd looking pictures of animals. Anomoly hunting just got easier for those who want to hold onto the idea.

6. tedwon 09 Sep 2013 at 9:21 pm

I was driving in the country, on a dark night. I saw two red lights. I thought that it was the brake lights of a car on the road in front of me, how far away, I’m not sure. Then, as I drove (not much) farther, It appeared that it was reflectors that were at the head of a driveway. As I drover (again, not much) farther, it turned out that it was a truck in a driveway, with its lights on, at a farm. Not that I cared what it was at each stage of my driving, it is just an example that we try to make sense of what we see based on limited information. Our mind will try to interpret information, subject to what we “want” to believe. I knew that it wasn’t something “abnormal,” but I, nonetheless, wanted to make sense of it based on things that I would expect to see on a dark country road.

7. The Other John Mcon 10 Sep 2013 at 12:54 pm

I did some rough number crunching awhile back, figuring out how many Bigfoots should have been hit/killed by cars, or accidentally shot by hunters, assuming they exist in the numbers that would be required for a stable breeding population (at least a couple hundred to a few thousand). For those interested, see here: