Dec 06 2012

Trust Me – Evidence is Coming

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Trust Me – Evidence is Coming”.

13 Responses to “Trust Me – Evidence is Coming”

1. BobbyGon 06 Dec 2012 at 10:18 am

‘The “I was a skeptic, but now I believe” line’

is posted by people who are known as “concern trolls.”

2. Skepticoon 06 Dec 2012 at 11:18 am

Prophets are usually seen only by those who start the companies

Presumably they foresee the success of the business?

3. Karl Withakayon 06 Dec 2012 at 12:03 pm

“The company could then only market to that one indication, but people and practitioners would be free to use it off label for any indication”

Now, at least in the second circuit, they apparently could market it for any lawful use that they want to regardless of what condition it was approved for. :(

4. locutusbrgon 06 Dec 2012 at 12:14 pm

My favorite part is “I did my research to prove it as a placebo hoax.”. Yes that must have been an extensive review of available research. All of five minutes, it is very hard to find nothing. I am not knocking non US university but I couldn’t find a BS.c in micro except in india? In the US it is more commonly a BA in Micro.

5. tmac57on 06 Dec 2012 at 1:08 pm

Couldn’t the ASEA users be considered a kind of skeptic? After all,they are taking their magic water with a grain of salt.

6. Sancluson 06 Dec 2012 at 1:33 pm

It is interesting how the same tired and tried formula continues to work through time. What is even more interesting to me is how people will grab onto the fantastic as truth while simultaneously dismissing facts and evidence that argue against the fantastic. The more troubling fact to me is the high percentage of my friends and family who are so easily swayed by these snake oil salesmen and other people who spout nonsense about vaccines and homeopathy. It is tough to have a conversation with anybody these days without having to discuss some such nonsense. Of course, the believers are never thrilled when facts are presented to them and they often get angry. Even though I never attack anybody personally for their beliefs, most tend to take logical arguments about fact vs. fantasy very personally. It’s like living between a rock and a hard place every day.

Daniel Brennan
    Pelham Bay, Bronx, NY.

7. Davdoodleson 06 Dec 2012 at 7:33 pm

Pfft!

I have no proof whatsoever that MY brine tonic fixes THREE hundred things that ails ya.

So, my brackish water is 50% more awesome that ASEA’s.

8. HHCon 06 Dec 2012 at 11:20 pm

ASEAs customers might like drinking mouthfuls of Dead Sea water for their next feat.

9. Jared Olsenon 07 Dec 2012 at 5:27 am

That first paragraph is an excellent distillation of the whole sCAM paradigm. My only concern here Steve,
    is that these a#*holes only need to read this blog to see where they are going wrong, and then create the perfect snake-oil.

10. Dubiouson 07 Dec 2012 at 11:02 am

Thank you for an excellent post Doctor. I truly enjoy posts like these, where you thoroughly examine dubious claims and highlight where the BS hides, which i honestly find hard sometimes.

11. Magnus Bergon 16 Jan 2014 at 5:35 am

This is an excerpt of what Dr. Gary Samuelson wrote in a blog.

Sorry If the translation from Norwegian is poor :)

“The composition of this product is quite complex. ASEA is not
    a mixture of components. ASEA is produced using an
    electrocatalytic process in which initially pure water (H2O)
    and salt (NaCl). Nothing else is added. During a process
    similar to the process that takes place between the
    mitochondrial membranes of living cells (living cells also
    have electrocatalytic processes to reduce and oxidize salt),
    the salt goes through a catalytic redox reaction (reduction
    oxidation), resulting in over 15 different molecules , all of
    which are produced in living cells. Some of these are natural
    or present in very small amounts.

The most active identifiable components of ASEA are
    superoxide, hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorides, including
    different sub-species (O2 * -, HO2 *, OCl-, HOCl, H2O2). In
    the scientific literature, these molecules known as reactive
    oxygen species and is involved in many different cellular
    processes, including metabolic regulation and oxidative burst
    in immune cells. It is surprising that stable superoxide is
    found in ASEA. In the body we has enzymes that break down
    ASEA to salt and water again, which means that the chemical
    reaction is reversed. Vitamin C, for example, decomposes ASEA.”

You can say what you want about this product, but this is for real.

This is from another forum where health professionals talk about Asea.

12. Steven Novellaon 16 Jan 2014 at 7:32 am

Magnus – none of that refers to any clinical evidence of any health benefit or anything to support the claims made for ASEA. It changes nothing about what I wrote above.

But – whenever I debunk a MLM product, I get one-off commenters who come here trying to promote their product.

13. rickcon 03 Aug 2014 at 1:24 pm

Simply look up the patents that ASEA notes in their literature. They have nothing to do with the creation of the product or what they claim it can do. Doesn’t a patent usually have some reference to a process or intellectual property they are trying to protect? The indication to me is they tried to make some contraption to sterilize dental instruments and decided to sell a by-product of the process for more than the invention was worth.