Aug 22 2013

T-rex a Vegetarian?

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “T-rex a Vegetarian?”.

16 Responses to “T-rex a Vegetarian?”

1. HHCon 22 Aug 2013 at 2:14 pm

Love your logical knots. I feel like breaking into the songs of the Peaceable Kingdom by Randall Thompson.

2. Bill Openthalton 22 Aug 2013 at 5:59 pm

Before the fall we had steak trees. And wiener schnitzel (with and without crumbs) bushes. That explains the teeth. And the T-Rex would be sitting around the camp fire, grilling steaks and singing jolly songs.

3. TheBlackCaton 22 Aug 2013 at 7:22 pm

“Maybe they were built for chasing down those famous flying bushes of the Serengeti. ”

Of course not. They were chasing flying papayas. In foggy mountains. They just had to watch out for papaya storms.

4. anselmon 22 Aug 2013 at 7:41 pm

The other day a panda keeper at Edinburgh Zoo told me that pandas do eat meat if they can get it. It’s just that generally they are too lazy to hunt. Biologically they still have carnivore plumbing inside (not just carnivore teeth), and need to eat massive amounts of bamboo, which they really can’t digest all that well, to keep going. They also tend to poop a lot.

5. Davdoodleson 23 Aug 2013 at 3:41 am

So god created a world without steak? And then punished us by letting us eat meat?

That monster.

And imagine how much methane all those wildly over-engineered cud-chewing sharks would have produced…

6. eiskrystalon 23 Aug 2013 at 4:01 am

But surely the tooth marks on those bodies were created after the fall, when a huge selection of creatures suddenly and altogether changed their bodies, brains and gut bacteria on a whim because 2 humans ate an apple.

I really don’t see where his logic is wrong on that one…

7. John Piereton 23 Aug 2013 at 6:13 am

One point:

In the LEGAL sense of circumstantial vs. direct evidence, Taylor is correct that marks matching T. rex dentation found on fossil triceratops bones is “circumstantial” evidence. But as any lawyer (I’m one) knows, circumstantial evidence of this sort is MUCH more reliable than “direct” eyewitness evidence.

An amusing (and no doubt apocryphal) example is an attorney questioning a witness against a defendant accused of assaulting another man, during which the defendant supposedly bit off the ear of the victim.

Lawyer: Did you see my client bite off Mr. Jones’ ear?

Witness: No sir.

Lawyer: Then how can you sit here before this jury and accuse my client of this heinous crime?

Witness: I saw him spit it out.

8. oldmanjenkinson 23 Aug 2013 at 8:44 am

For an excellent expose on the Creation “Museum” one only has to listen to comedian Marc Maron’s “This Has to be Funny” track 7 “The Creation Museum” for imo an intellectual attempt on Maron’s part to try to wrap his brain around their (ID’s) logical leaps to dinosaurs walking with humans. Some comedians (Maron one imo) are truly the poets of our generation.

9. Kawarthajonon 23 Aug 2013 at 11:23 am

Would have been better if he’d just argued that T-Rex and other carnivores just subsisted on God’s love prior to the downfall of humans. He could have then involved the handy “God made it happen” clause that creationists so often fall back on (i.e. God made the universe SEEM as though it is 14.?? billion years old, even though it is only 6000yo).

I feel that this might be a letdown for Rebecca of the SGU, however – she probably would have been happy to hear the the King of Dinos shared her love of plant-based foods. Maybe don’t tell her about the truth about T-rex’s on this one. ;)

10. Mickon 23 Aug 2013 at 3:19 pm

I remember from back when I had a pet boa constrictor that their teeth point back toward their throat – the better to keep prey from escaping. I notice in the photo that T. Rex had a little bit of that going on as well. So, based on the teachings of Mr. Taylor, we can only assume that this was to prevent heads of cabbage from getting away.

11. locutusbrgon 23 Aug 2013 at 3:31 pm

This is the kind of mistake creationists make that work in our favor….

The general scientific illiterate “Know”. T-rex bit that guy in half off the toilet and ate the goat in the movie. No way it’s eating salads. Bats bite people too! My brother’s sister’s cousin’s college roommate had to have rabies shots because of those bats. I saw Fox’s “when animal attack” and the Panda grabbed that guy I pretty sure they are not veggie lovers either.

SO this is the creationists version of making themselves look like Dumb As**# on their own.

12. norrisLon 23 Aug 2013 at 6:22 pm

I sent this post on to 2 friends of mine who are veterinary dentists. I’m sure they will be highly amused by “creationist logic”

13. ccbowerson 23 Aug 2013 at 7:46 pm

The serrations on the T rex are further evidence of their vegetarianism. The only serrated knives I own are a bread knife and tomato/bagel knife. Clearly the T rex used his teeth to slice the bread and tomotoes of the humans with which they co-existed.

“Quite the contrary – evolution provides a nice explanation backed by evidence for the apparent mismatch between the panda’s teeth and their diet. It is the creationists who have the real problem explaining this.”

Let me introduce you to the “god works in mysterious ways” argument. Whenever you begin to doubt through thinking, you can remind yourself of the above. Problem solved.

Sorry for that. I’m feeling sarcastic this evening.

14. ccbowerson 23 Aug 2013 at 7:55 pm

On a serious note, I assume that the lack of a healed T Rex tooth mark despite many unhealed tooth marks implies that T Rex may not have hunted healthy triceratops (at least very often), but they mostly scavenged or killed very weak triceratops. My understanding is that T rex is considered both a hunter and scavenger, but it’s behavior would depend on the the potential prey in question and availability of food.

15. BillyJoe7on 24 Aug 2013 at 1:32 am

” on a whim because 2 humans ate an apple ”

Eve must have eaten the first half and put the remainder in cryogenic storage for 60,000 years so that Adam could eat the second half.

16. a_haworthrobertson 25 Aug 2013 at 11:22 am

Perhaps you should post this as a comment under the video?