Mar 22 2013

Homeopathy Debate

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Homeopathy Debate”.

13 Responses to “Homeopathy Debate”

1. QuiteDragonon 22 Mar 2013 at 9:03 am

Steve, you might want to consider finding a way to obscure the “peter gold” address. Putting it in the clear like that is going to invite a lot of spam. https://www.google.com/search?q=obscuring+email+address+on+web+page

Do well at the debate.

2. cliffon 22 Mar 2013 at 9:44 am

Novella– If it is video taped, it would be nice if you could share the video. GOOD Luck, and show NO mercy ;)

3. CrookedTimberon 22 Mar 2013 at 11:06 am

Looking forward to the report! Dr. Goldacre participated in a homeopathy debate in hostile territory (video here ). I’m sure you’ve encountered most of the arguments before, but still may be instructive.

BTW – does video/audio exist of your vaccine debate at the libertarian conference?

4. tmac57on 22 Mar 2013 at 11:28 am

This should go well for you since your opponent is on such shaky ground…but on second thought,that would only ‘potentize’ their argument. :)

5. BillyJoe7on 22 Mar 2013 at 4:59 pm

Another corny homoeopathy joke….

Don’t be too successful, Steve, because if you dilute the ranks of homoeopathy supporters, you’ll only make them stronger.

Okay, I should have left that one in the drawer. |:

6. tmac57on 22 Mar 2013 at 8:36 pm

Two homeopaths walk in to a bar,and the bartender asks what will you two gents have?
    The first homeopath says “I’m in the mood to party, give me 6 whiskeys,and make them all 30C!”
    The second homeopath says “Give me 6 whiskeys too,but I want mine straight,cause I’m the designated driver.”

7. Steven Novellaon 22 Mar 2013 at 10:24 pm

the debate went well.

It will be available online. I will post the link when available.

8. daijiyobuon 23 Mar 2013 at 12:53 am

I’m glad to hear it went well. Having saved the last debate’s video.

While, honestly, I was thinking all day that debating a homeopath in terms of the science merits of homeopathy was like boxing a blow-up clown!

Interesting story:

I’d heard the morning of, via this blog, that seats may be available.

So, I emailed, to be told that YES, there were seats but there were NO parking spaces. How considerate!!! How polite. How Waspy.

It was kind of like being told by an English butler that sure there were settings at the table, except I didn’t have the particular tuxedo needed.

I love Connecticut. And I say that as a continuous tax payer.

-r.c.

9. ConspicuousCarlon 24 Mar 2013 at 5:18 pm

Steven Novella on 22 Mar 2013 at 10:24 pm

the debate went well.

Don’t over-promise. The only homeopathy debate which truly ends well is one which ends with “Be it resolved that homeopathy shall be added to the DSM.”

10. ConspicuousCarlon 24 Mar 2013 at 5:22 pm

daijiyobu on 23 Mar 2013 at 12:53 am

Or maybe it is more like being told there are settings available, but you will have to ride a bus and/or walk a block? How waspy.

11. daijiyobuon 24 Mar 2013 at 6:39 pm

I apologize Carl, if I didn’t explain that I am infected with excess levels of irony and absurdity, and a need to infect others likewise.

I was commenting on tone and a quick impression of a disinterest in being hospitable.

And then I planned my day accordingly.

I appreciate the physical solutions you’ve offered. And the snark!

Personally, I prefer the cod.

-r.c.

12. ConspicuousCarlon 25 Mar 2013 at 6:41 am

I was doing a zig-zag snap when I said “waspy” so I think we’re OK.

13. tmac57on 25 Mar 2013 at 9:28 am

“I was doing a zig-zag snap…” Now,now Carl,we must set a good example for the young people,so just say ‘no’.