Jan 07 2014

The Society for Science-Based Medicine

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “The Society for Science-Based Medicine”.

15 Responses to “The Society for Science-Based Medicine”

1. Kieselguhr Kidon 07 Jan 2014 at 10:26 am

Dr. Novella,

While digs at homeopathy are all well and good — as my thesis advisor put it, if that stuff works we should all go home — perhaps the particular one you chose in the intro could be, um, edited or better phrased. It doesn’t seem to be a product of good judgement, and certainly I found it a bit jarring.

2. nybgruson 07 Jan 2014 at 11:31 am

It is a reference to James Randi taking an entire bottle of homeopathic pills to show that they are a whole bunch of hooey.

3. Steven Novellaon 07 Jan 2014 at 12:48 pm

Multiple groups have done “homeopathic suicide” stunts to show that the potions are worthless. So this is a bit of an inside joke for regular skeptics.

4. ccbowerson 07 Jan 2014 at 1:05 pm

“…if that stuff works we should all go home.”

I am wondering if you understand the reference, and still had that reaction. If the reference is not something you are familiar with, then I could see that being a bit jarring. If you understand the reference, and still offer the advice of giving up (which is what your adviser’s quote is implying), then I’m afraid you are giving up too easily.

5. SimonWon 07 Jan 2014 at 6:36 pm

Given the quality of many supplements and the criticisms by regulators of large homoeopathic producers, I’ve always thought the homoeopathic suicide thing was not such a clever stunt. Okay Randi has the patter to pull it off, but the rest of us probably better showing videos of Randi doing it.

6. SimonWon 07 Jan 2014 at 6:40 pm

As a hardened skeptic I can immediately tell when the next line will be “give money”.

Why not just say “donate $85 a year to these guys to help the fight” and be done.

To get my cash you’d probably have to have a UK wing…

7. Steven Novellaon 08 Jan 2014 at 7:11 am

Simon – SSBM is an international organization. We welcome UK members.

8. BobbyGon 08 Jan 2014 at 10:52 am

I joined yesterday, and will put a permanent link on my REC blog.

9. ccbowerson 08 Jan 2014 at 7:05 pm

“Given the quality of many supplements and the criticisms by regulators of large homoeopathic producers, I’ve always thought the homoeopathic suicide thing was not such a clever stunt.”

I agree, given the possibility of improper dilution or contamination of such products I wouldn’t do this, especially since it has been done many times already. Also, using their ‘opposite day’ logic, a larger dose would be less effective (though I realize the average person may not realize this), so the stunt is not quite right.

10. TheFlyingPigon 08 Jan 2014 at 8:12 pm

I’ll 3rd (4th?) the notion that homeopathic “suicide by overdose” is a bad idea, though it does make a fine joke. I think that if you’re going to do it, you need to vet the company that produces the product… check that it’s a high quality and honest company; that way, you can be fairly sure that the pills are legitimately devoid of any function.

11. ccbowerson 08 Jan 2014 at 9:31 pm

“The proper way to overdose on homeopathic preparations is to not take them. This makes the effect size infinite.”

Or take a breath and drink some tap water and really overdose on everything.

12. inconsciouson 09 Jan 2014 at 9:54 am

Will be joining as a student-member. Hopefully I’ll be able to convince some of my fellow DO-PhD and MD-PhD student colleagues to do the same.

Thanks for all your work, Dr. Novella.

13. BillyJoe7on 09 Jan 2014 at 2:16 pm

Regarding homoeopathic overdose….

The point is that the public will think of it as overdosing, and it’s the public that is the target of this stunt. And it’s not dangerous if you know your supplier.

A homoeopath going through the mental contortions of trying to explain why it is not an overdose, would also be an effective strategy if only we could get a homoeopath to do so.

14. Kawarthajonon 10 Jan 2014 at 11:55 am

Such irony that when you click on the link for membership to the society, an add appears at the bottom claiming that if you eat this “holy grail” food, you will never have to diet again!

15. BillyJoe7on 10 Jan 2014 at 3:41 pm

Not only that, but it appears on the bottom of the home page as well, and it’s a weight loss food promoted by Dr. Mehmet Oz, the cardiologist who has sold his soul to the devil.