Nov 11 2013

Reprogramming Your Junk DNA

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Reprogramming Your Junk DNA”.

9 Responses to “Reprogramming Your Junk DNA”

1. SpaceTrouton 11 Nov 2013 at 11:19 am

Ah yes. The presence of DNA woo is strong here.

Mildly on-topic: A friend of mine has bought in to the DNA repair BS by a magic elixir containing “M-State elements” (monatomic gold, silver, platinum, whatever-um). The potion, combined with “the power of intention”, brings new information from your RnA to your DNA through chromosome 14 and brings numerous physical and non-physical benefits.

I’m pretty sure that the some of the Petor Garjajev paper content was used in justifying some of the claims used in this product.

Despite my polite and careful efforts to show my friend that the scientific plausibility of these claims are on the same level as, uh, nothing, my friend still wants to believe it works and continues to fork out $60 – $70 per bottle.

But then again, the product is “made by Christian doctors” and the seller “can ONLY ship UPS because all other shipping companies use radiation scanning on their packages which damages homeopathic medicine.”, so by gum, this stuff must really work!

I’d write more about it, but I fear that I would aspirate my morning coffee and donut from the simultaneous laughing and vomiting.

2. evhantheinfidelon 11 Nov 2013 at 12:02 pm

Why does it always seem to be Russian, Chinese, or Italian scientists that make these amazing, yet obscure breakthroughs? I mean, the Chinese can at least claim that we “westerners” just don’t appreciate the genius of eastern philosophy, but I still don’t get it. Maybe it’s just an exercise in confirmation bias on my part.

3. Lswanon 11 Nov 2013 at 12:08 pm

When I first glanced at this on my Iphone, I thought it said “Reprogramming your Junk”….

4. Davdoodleson 12 Nov 2013 at 9:16 pm

“The Russian linguists found that the genetic code, especially in the apparently useless 90%, follows the same rules as all our human languages.”

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

5. zorrobanditoon 18 Nov 2013 at 5:52 pm

Any analysis that includes the word “western” in the first paragraph is suspect up front.

6. Wonderingon 20 Nov 2013 at 3:39 pm

“To this end they compared the rules of syntax (the way in which words are put together to form phrases and sentences), semantics (the study of meaning in language forms) and the basic rules of grammar. They found that the alkalines of our DNA follow a regular grammar and do have set rules just like our languages.”

Does our DNA “do” Bangla? Ewe, perhaps? Arabic? !Kung, maybe? Khmer? There are thousands of different grammars, semantics, and syntaxes. Maybe our DNA is multilingual?

7. Bruceon 21 Nov 2013 at 7:13 am

And does cat DNA speak Lolcat?

8. Bronze Dogon 21 Nov 2013 at 1:40 pm

“Language is magic” is a common theme in woo, and it’s certainly something that’s stuck around in our fantasy fiction. A lot of woos seem to get the symbolic nature of language backwards, too, especially in theology. They take a word like “god” and they think their definition of the word influences reality, citing definition sources to “deduce” the properties of an alleged entity from those definitions. Meanwhile, people like us look at reality and use or invent words to describe what we observe.

Language is a metaphor (meta-metaphor?) we can use to describe how DNA functions, and though a lot of biologists don’t like computer metaphors, I suspect computer languages are probably a more accurate analogy than human languages. Computer code can itself evolve through the use of genetic algorithms, and I’d expect our DNA to be more like evolved computer code than anything produced by a human. For one thing, evolution didn’t leave convenient comments telling us what does what. There’s nothing really stopping an evolving program from adding lines of code that don’t affect the desired output unless nanoseconds are an extremely scarce commodity.

When quackery uses that word, I like to point out the racism involved. I often find it denigrates both “easterners” and “westerners.”

9. Ribozymeon 12 Dec 2013 at 6:33 am

I suppose that by “the alkalines of our DNA” they meant “bases”. A Google translation?