Apr 19 2013

Jindal – Teach the Controversy

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Jindal – Teach the Controversy”.

8 Responses to “Jindal – Teach the Controversy”

1. BillyJoe7on 19 Apr 2013 at 8:32 am

Maybe someone should ask Jindal is he supports the teaching of astrology along with astronomy, and alchemy along with chemistry.

2. mrwilson41on 19 Apr 2013 at 9:45 am

I don’t look at Creationism/ID as even pseudoscience. They are both religious ideas being taught in the wrong class. I don’t have a problem with religion being taught, but not in publicly funded schools.

3. Jim Shaveron 19 Apr 2013 at 10:45 am

Don’t forget, Bobby Jindal is a guy who has participated in at least one exorcism.

This is a man who wants to teach children the “best science”?

4. Ori Vandewalleon 19 Apr 2013 at 10:49 am

What’re we scared of? We’re scared that if we teach our children unscientific nonsense, they won’t understand or appreciate science. Without any understanding, we won’t raise new scientists. Without appreciation, we’ll have no one to support the scientists that remain.

(This is hyperbole, but I think it gets the point across.)

5. ConspicuousCarlon 19 Apr 2013 at 1:50 pm

As usual, this plea for uncertainty comes from the governor of a state which has executed people based on less evidence.

6. rocken1844on 20 Apr 2013 at 11:14 am

“best science” how about students reading Judge Jones decision in the 2005 Dover creation trial- “scared of” how about the way creationists are divided over creation/ID and how striking are the condemnations among evangelicals. Mark Noll is a committed evangelical and professional historian author of the book – The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind – the first sentence of the book reads “The scandal of the evangelical mind is that there is not much of an evangelical mind.” Now there’s a lesson for day one in Louisiana public schools.

7. Davdoodleson 22 Apr 2013 at 12:03 am

Teach the Easter Bunny “controversy” too.

When, I pray, will humanity ever be free of the slimy influence of these pestilent idiots?

8. DaveLilieon 26 Apr 2013 at 10:38 pm

Dr. Novella,
    Great work. I wish, when I have faced with similar discussions with believers, I were able to express my thoughts as clearly and succinctly as you have here and in many of your other posts.