Jun 25 2013

Hummingbirds

Published by under General
Comments: 16

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Hummingbirds”.

16 Responses to “Hummingbirds”

1. lfvvbon 25 Jun 2013 at 9:20 pm

I have heard that the feeders, having only sugars and not aminoacids, were actually harmful for the birds. The explanation being that they get all fed up and not getting all the nutrients they need. Have you read or seen anything about that?

Awesome vacation post.

2. quarksparrowon 25 Jun 2013 at 9:20 pm

Nothing brings out the pedants quite like bird ids. ;) Wanted to point out that all of these photos are of adult male rubythroats. Like other iridescent birds, their colour is dependent on feather structure instead of pigment, and requires a light source (appearing black when in shadow). A female or juvenile male will have a white throat.

3. Bruce Woodwardon 26 Jun 2013 at 5:16 am

Where is the balance eh Steve? Two bird posts and no monkey posts.

I am disappoint.

4. Steven Novellaon 26 Jun 2013 at 8:52 am

quark – Thanks – I think you’re right.

5. ConspicuousCarlon 26 Jun 2013 at 9:35 am

Ifvvb,

I was just reading the Wikipedia article on hummingbirds, which says that fancy sfore-bought nectars with extra nutrients are not necessary because the birds still eat insects as they usually would.

6. ConspicuousCarlon 26 Jun 2013 at 9:42 am

Bruce,

Everyone knows that monkeys like to wake up in the morning and chow down on a nice bowl full of these little puff balls (with a generous portion of milk poured over them). Any post about hummingbirds is already about monkeys, even if it isn’t mentioned.

7. lfvvbon 26 Jun 2013 at 10:48 am

Ok, awesome, thanks ConspicuousCarl.

8. Bruce Woodwardon 26 Jun 2013 at 10:49 am

Go feed your birds… Monkeys need no help from silly humans!

9. Kawarthajonon 26 Jun 2013 at 11:29 am

quarksparrow: don’t you mean “pendants”, as Jay would say on the SGU?

10. ConspicuousCarlon 26 Jun 2013 at 2:11 pm

The sad confession for today is that hummingbirds do scare the heck out of me every time I run into them because for a split second I think it is a giant bee. My vision is not bad enough to motivate me to wear my glasses full time, but just bad enough to cause this sort of confusion more often than average.

It is rather fascinating that some birds have evolved to fill a role which is normally for insects. And, though all official hummingbirds are closely related, Wikipedia mentions a couple other groups of birds which have evolved varying wills and abilities to do the same (including hovering).

11. ChrisHon 26 Jun 2013 at 3:19 pm

We get Anna’s hummingbirds. The sometimes have a red neck.

They are the reason I grow hardy jasmine, hardy fushias, snowberries, sage and even vine maples:

12. Jared Olsenon 26 Jun 2013 at 10:01 pm

“Beautiful plumage..”

13. Bill Openthalton 27 Jun 2013 at 7:24 am

@ Carl

We don’t have hummingbirds where I live, but we do have large hawk-moths that look, fly and feed surprisingly like hummingbirds. So what we have two different phyla filling the same niche, and producing a very similar shape from a totally different body pattern. Amazing.

14. ConspicuousCarlon 27 Jun 2013 at 4:23 pm

Wow, some of those hawk moths could easily sneak past the bouncer at a hummingbird club.

15. Draalon 01 Jul 2013 at 5:09 pm

Here’s a picture I took of the Ruby Throated Hummingbird when I was in Belize.

16. AttacusAtlason 03 Jul 2013 at 12:44 pm

I live in BC, Canada — and although our winter weather is usually quite mild, there is the occasional cold-snap that freezes the feeders, so my mom lets the hummers inside until it passes by putting a feeder just inside the window.

She has branches and a fake tree inside (in which they perch & sleep at night ), provides sugar water feeders, flowering plants, a small bird bath, and even live fruit flies! Although they are territorial, she’s had as many as 5 at once – peacefully co-existing without incident.

We’ve even heard a male doing a beautiful warbly song! Here is a photo I took several years ago — you can see a 2nd hummingbird in the background.