May 07 2013

Atacama Specimen

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Atacama Specimen”.

15 Responses to “Atacama Specimen”

1. Ori Vandewalleon 07 May 2013 at 11:33 am

I don’t know why people always jump to aliens with this sort of thing. If the DNA is completely human, the obvious conclusion is that it’s a time traveler from the future. Since we’ll be a spacefaring civilization in the future, it makes sense that we would have miniaturized ourselves to cut down on fuel requirements.

2. ConspicuousCarlon 07 May 2013 at 11:34 am

Perhaps it cannot be properly investigated unless the DNA test equipment is also in 1:10 scale.

3. lancemoodyon 07 May 2013 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for looking into this!

Lance Moody

4. BillyJoe7on 07 May 2013 at 5:49 pm

“a fetus of 20-25 weeks old….an older child of 5-6 years old”

No comment (:

5. ConspicuousCarlon 07 May 2013 at 8:03 pm

This is the exact special pleading that researchers gave when the alleged bigfoot DNA was found to be human. It must therefore be a human hybrid.

Every time I am reminded of that, I think of my favorite part when the author of the paper said something like “this is nothing like what we would expect bigfoot DNA to look like”. Sooo… why do you think it is bigfoot DNA? They seem to think that “everything we know would have to be wrong” is a supporting argument.

6. Kawarthajonon 08 May 2013 at 11:49 am

As a tangential issue, Steven Greer argues that scientists have proven that DNA has existed for 10 billion years – longer than the age of the Earth. This sounds ridiculous to me. The “researchers” (and I use that term lightly) are applying Moore’s law, the one about computer processing power doubling every so often, to examine DNA and how its complexity has changed over time, suggesting that there hasn’t been enough time on Earth for the complexity to get to the level of human DNA and concluding, therefore, that DNA must have originated several billions of years prior to the Earth’s formation.

Here is the link to the article about the “research” – http://phys.org/news/2013-04-law-life-began-earth.html

7. Ori Vandewalleon 08 May 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’ve conducted similar research. Given that global warming is real, the universe must have been cooler in the past. Therefore, the cosmic microwave background does not exist.

8. stamenon 08 May 2013 at 4:52 pm

Doubtful News has a link to an excellent analysis http://paolov.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/atacama-alien-mystery/. Paolo V. the author make a very important point. This is not just a freak show. This is a child that has died in unfortunate circumstances. The foetus and mother deserve some respect.

9. HHCon 08 May 2013 at 5:44 pm

The Atacama specimen is probably the aborted fetus of a Chilean or Peruvian native. The natives’ UFO/ET suggestions are tangential to the facts that political prisoner bodies have been found in the same desert and part of it has been used as a concentration camp.

10. eternallylearningon 08 May 2013 at 6:13 pm

“# Ori Vandewalleon 07 May 2013 at 11:33 am
    I don’t know why people always jump to aliens with this sort of thing.”

If I had to wager a guess based on my personal experiences in believing stuff like this and having friends who still do; I’d say that it’s simply because someone else raises it as a “likely” possibility and they get really, really excited to see confirmation of a long-held hope. Then, when the presumption is questioned, they just cannot seem to find the will to be disappointed.

11. ConspicuousCarlon 08 May 2013 at 10:03 pm

HHC on 08 May 2013 at 5:44 pm

Wait a minute… Peru…? I think I’ve solved it!

12. madmidgitzon 09 May 2013 at 12:53 am

dont be encouraging the stereotype about atheists and dead babies….. Delicious dead babies….mmmmmmmmm, with barbecue sauce…… yeah dont enforce that steryotype ….. maybe with mustard and fries.
    im so hungry now

13. Jared Olsenon 09 May 2013 at 5:41 am

Good stuff Steve, when I saw this in the news I had a feeling you would address it. I gotta say tho, the damn thing looks so fake! Would make an awesome key ring!

14. Fredon 11 May 2013 at 3:21 am

Thanks, Steven, for the thoughtful inspection. I’ve been reading your blogs for quite a while; what introduced me to your place was your analysis on the traditional and complementary medicines. (I’m a Chinese, growing up being fed with Chinese medicine.) I’ve learned a lot from your writings. Thanks.

15. Davdoodleson 12 May 2013 at 11:00 pm

“Human hybrid”

…in which all the DNA, and everything else, is human.

Like the Esquilax, the legendary horse with the head of a rabbit, and the body of a rabbit.